Search This Blog

Sunday 4 September 2011

The first lady of Montana Territory

Lenore McKelvey Puhek writes novels based on accurate historical information about her home state of Montana.  She also enacts in costume one of her characters, Mrs. Thomas Francis (Libby) Meagher , “the first lady of Montana Territory."

 
Lenore tells her own story:
“I am a professional writer whose husband died unexpectedly in 2002  and my only child passed away from an accident.   So I decided it was time to write the “All American Novel” that I dreamed of doing since high school days.  I followed my dream and it took two years of solid research and dedication to the process of writing about The River’s Edge: Thomas Francis Meagher and Libby Townsend Meagher, Their Love Story.   This is a true story.
 
“When the book came out, I put some of my marketing skills together and came up with the idea of giving talks at luncheons, libraries or anywhere I could hold a book signing.  My thought was “Why not do it in costume and really represent Libby?”
 
“While at  a Victorian Tea Party, I saw a flyer advertising your company and I sent for my first dress.  It was a green, off-the shoulder cotton ballgown with a hoop.  It was very “Gone with the Wind” looking but I still wear it a lot.
 
“The first time I wore the dress for a dinner speaking engagement, people were very surprised.  But when I started speaking in first person Libby, I knew it was the way for me to present my book, the history of Montana territory, and to finally give Libby Meagher some praise and attention that she did not receive while being the very first lady of Montana territory, 1865-1867.
 
“The book sells well even today.  I go everywhere in my various dresses made by Recollections, just for me.  The prices are always what I can afford and look like a million bucks. 
   
“I recently was invited to speak at a memorial type, tombstone setting dedication of Libby’s husband, Thomas Francis Meagher.  To this very day, he has never had a tombstone because his body has never been found.  What an honour for me to speak at this dedication and tell the gathered crowd, (some of his relatives even came from Ireland) about Thomas.  I knew I had done a good job when, all through the rest of the day, people kept asking me questions by calling me “Libby”.  So, I stayed in character for the whole day and just had a ball.  I held a book signing  and the Greenwood Cemetery Association set out a beautiful reception for me.
 
“Did re-inventing myself change my life?  Absolutely!  I have learned about public speaking, theatre and costuming in correct period.  Being a private person, I had to make myself become more outward going and aware of people.

“Would my book sell as well without my public speaking?  If the bookstores handled it exclusively, they would not be pushing it for sale.  I worked too hard to let it die on the shelves in six months.  Will I continue to promote my book?  Absolutely!  I love being Libby Meagher, and I am proud of the book.  It was pure joy for me to write it.  The book has introduced me to a Pulitzer Prize winner, to many authors of great fame, allowed me to travel to Ireland as well, and opened so many new avenues of life.  I always feel so special in my costumes from Recollections and they go overboard for me even when I put time constraints on them.”

Lenore was born and raised in Montana to pioneer stock. Her surroundings, landscape, people, home and friendships feed her desire to write. She is a member of Western Writers of America, The Montana Historical Society, and a charter member (1982) of Writers in the Big Sky. She graduated from Carroll College, Helena, Mt., and hold a B.A. in English/Writing. As well as her novels she has been published in major magazines. Her first novel, The River's Edge: Thomas Francis Meagher and Elizabeth Townsend Meagher, Their Love Story was selected by the Montana State Library for an audio book created for the visually impaired and blind. Past honours include the A.B. Bud Guthrie Scholarship granted for western writing about Montana. Although she loves to travel this earth, have no doubt that Helena, Montana is home.
 
Lenore’s books
 
The River's Edge: Thomas Francis Meagher and Elizabeth Townsend Meagher

 Annie: The Cabin In The Woods
This historically accurate novel describes life on a 1880s Montana frontier homestead.

Annie Morgan. Brave, desperate, or lost? Born a slave in Baltimore, life weaves a story of adventure, and romance throughout major events in American history. She cooks for General Custer during the Civil War. After Custer's demise at the Battle of the Little Big Horn, she travels to Ft. Benton, Montana, on the Missouri River, joining the established black community. A job in Philipsburg, a rough mining town, leads Annie to her "homestead" at last.

Joseph Case is a Civil War Veteran who drifts west to fight Indian Wars. He also ends up in Philipsburg, hired by the cook camps to hunt meat. By a strange twist of fate, Annie saves Joseph from drowning. Love blooms...will territorial laws prevent a marriage between the interracial couple?

Sean Patricks is a firefighter in the Sawmill Complex Fire of 2007. Sean helps save a historical cabin. He returns with his 12-year-old twin sons for a fishing vacation. The twins do more than fish. They uncover a path to the past in the spirits of Annie and Joseph.

A fine thread weaves smoothly throughout this story. Is the past part of the present...or the present part of the past? You decide.

E books: http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/author/Puhek,%20Lenore%20McKelvey/results/1.html

River’s Edge is available in the UK - £10.07
http://www.asda-entertainment.co.uk/books/annie-the-cabin-in-the-woods/author/Lenore+McKelvey+Puhek.contenthttp://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Rivers-Edge-Lenore-McKelvey-Puhek/9780595822218

Ms. Puhek is available for public speaking.  Arrangements can be made by E-mailing her at lpuhek@gmail.com.

1 comment:

  1. Is there a photo of Elizabeth? I own her 1855 honeymoon bonnet

    ReplyDelete